Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Old City

I have had Dubrovnik built up as a paradise in my mind for years, and I have seen dozens of photos of this beautiful medieval walled city along the Adriatic. Despite all of that, I was literally awestruck by the Old City today...the beauty of it honestly took my breath away a couple of times as I entered the 15th century gate and rounded corners to face stunning architecture, glistening marble streets, and glimpses of the sparkling blue Adriatic. The city far exceeded even my enormous expectations. Will and I took a million photos, so I will upload some as soon as I can get my hands on a card reader or USB cable!

Our day was leisurely and wonderful...strolled all through the narrow passageways of the Old City (while eating super-yummy gelato), visited a Balkan photography museum, then watched the sun set over the Adriatic from our cozy perch on the rocky shore. Our dinner at one of the ubiquitious outdoor cafes (where Will could satisfy his craving for grilled squid)...was "enhanced" by a live performance from a Croatian Michael Bolton-wannabe. SO funny.

The day was so wonderful that I can even overlook the fact that I just had a midnight throwdown with an ant colony that decided to nestle in & around my backpack (in our room). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment